Bee Order Policies
GOLD STAR HONEYBEES®
Bee Order Policies
(Click here to go to the order page for bees)
Just in Case packages:
It’s hard to know what to do about ordering bees if it’s still too cold out to see whether your bees have survived the winter yet. No one wants to order more bees than they need. With us, you can order a package, “just in case.” If you don’t need them, you can cancel that package up until 14 days before your ship date, and pay only the $25 cancellation fee outlined below.
Ship Date Changes: There will be a $15 change fee charged to change the original ship date. Ship date changes are subject to availability of bees on desired ship date.
Cancellations: There will be a $25 handling fee charged on cancelled bee orders. Order must be cancelled 14 days before ship date to receive a refund of the balance of the purchase price.
How are bees shipped through the mail?
Gold Star Honeybees are shipped USPS Priority Mail. They will only ship via ground transportation because the USPS prohibits air transportation. Each 3# package is insured for the purchase price. They also ship “Hold for pickup” - and the post office will have your phone number. So be ready for a phone call from your post office asking you to come and get your bees!
What do I do if my bees don’t arrive safely? The USPS has a lot of experience shipping bees. They average about a 95% success rate in getting the bees to you safely. In the event a package arrives damaged, or with more than 1” of dead bees on the bottom, or if the queen is dead – then you, the purchaser should file a claim online with the USPS here:
It is the customer’s responsibility to file the claim with the USPS. The payment will come from the USPS and it will be sent directly to the customer. The claim process will require:
1) A photo of the damaged package
2) A photo of the shipping label
3) Proof of value (your receipt from Gold Star Honeybees’ website)
4) Proof of insurance (found on the shipping label)
If you are unable to file a claim online, visit your post office or call 1-800-ASK-USPS® (1-800-275-8777) to have a Domestic Claim Form mailed to you.
What about getting more bees if something happened to my original package?
1) First, file your claim with USPS.
2) If replacements are desired, you will then need to purchase them. This can be done via the website as per usual, or by contacting Gold Star Honeybees via email at email@example.com or 828-552-5225.
HOW TO SAFELY TRANSPORT YOUR BEES HOME FROM THE POST OFFICE:
Things you SHOULD do:
Protect the package from direct wind.
Protect the package from direct sun.
Protect the package from ANY very extreme heat or cold.
Things you SHOULD NOT do:
Please don’t transport bees in the open bed of a pickup, or with all the windows open in your car, or with the air conditioning blowing directly on them.
Please don’t set the bee package on the dashboard or back deck of your vehicle.
Please don’t transport bees in your trunk, or in a closed tote or tightly sealed container of any kind.
***Avoid transporting bees in vehicles that transport yard or farm chemicals.
***Also avoid vehicles that may contain the residue of a pet’s recent flea treatment.
What to do if the queen is dead upon arrival:
1) First, file your claim with USPS. If a replacement is desired, you will need to purchase one. It is often simplest to shop local because you will almost always be able to get a queen delivered faster that way, or you can contact Gold Star Honeybees at 828-552-5225.
2) If the rest of the package is fine, then install the bees in your hive. Install the dead queen in her cage right along with them. She will still be giving off queen pheromones and this will keep the bees cohesive until her replacement arrives.
As always, we thank you for making Gold Star Honeybees a part of your beekeeping journey, and we wish all the best for you and your bees.