The Gold Star Honey Harvest Kit makes your harvest simple.
Our convenient Honey Harvest kit includes:
- Two 5-gallon food grade buckets with lids
- Two nylon strainers
- Long-handled comb masher.
- Honey valve for easy bottling.
The Gold Star Honey Harvest Kit is our gravity-powered "Crush and Strain" Honey Extractor! Collect the bounty of your hard-working bees with ease using the Gold Star Honey Harvest Kit.
*FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY!!!
Purchase the Gold Star Honey Harvest Kit - Receive the Bucket Tipper FREE!! While supplies last!
HOW TO USE YOUR GOLD STAR HONEY HARVEST KIT
To harvest honey, you must first remove the capped honeycomb from your hive. Convincing the bees to let you have it can be done by gently brushing them off with a soft nylon bee brush. In the absence of a bee brush, a handful of soft grass/weeds can be used as a “grass roots” bee brush.
Move well away from the hive, perhaps by going inside. Cut the comb from the top bar. Then you can replace the top bar in your hive. Be sure to thank the bees!
Cut Comb Honey
To keep your harvest as cut comb honey, lay the comb on a flat surface and cut it into pieces. Package it just as-is into containers. Spread a chunk of it onto a piece of warm toast in the morning… there’s absolutely nothing like it!
Your Honey Harvest Kit is designed to help you crush and strain the honeycomb in order to harvest liquid honey. It works best with up to four combs at a time.
Arrange the Honey Harvest kit like this:
- Set the bottom bucket - the one with the honey gate - on a chair (otherwise the extractor will be too tall to reach!)
- Place the lid with the round hole in it on top of the bottom bucket
- Stack the top bucket (the one with multiple holes in the bottom) on top of the lid to the bottom bucket
- Insert one of the two strainers into the top bucket and secure it, using the elastic band
Put the comb that you have harvested into the strainer in the top bucket. Your goal is to crush the comb thoroughly - breaking open the capped cells containing the honey. Use the masher provided to crush the comb. A wooden spoon can be used to help move the comb around in the strainer – or you can use your hand to squeeze the wax comb into a ball. Avoid any sharp items, as they may cut or tear the strainer.
To ensure that the honey drains completely, lift the strainer slightly off the bottom of the bucket and suspend it in mid-air inside the bucket. The lid can be used to hold the strainer, or a strap or band tightened around the outside of the bucket may be helpful.
Put the Honey Harvest Kit in a warm area and let gravity do the rest of the work.
When the honey has drained into the bottom bucket, you can remove the strainer, which now contains the beeswax, from the top bucket. Rinse the honey from the wax using moderately warm (not hot!) water and save the wax for rendering.
Gather some interesting jars, and bottle the honey. Enjoy!
NOTE: We recommend that you:
- Wash the honey harvest kit thoroughly;
- Check that the honey gate is securely installed, and
- Make sure the honey gate is in the closed position when you start your harvest!